Thursday, July 24, 2014

Short Shifter

UPDATE:

I ended up taking out the ae101 shifter, and customising the original ae92 one.
I knocked of the ball, and ground down the shaft so it would slide up further.
I ended up extending it around 20mm, and then welded the ball in place.


























Because of this i had to then raise the mount even more, with some big nuts, and washers.








With a day off, it was time to create and install the short shift.


I had been reading a few posts on forums of guys making short shifters with old ae100 series shifters cutting and welding original ones.
So i thought i would give it a go for myself.

I started out by getting a ae100 series shifter, and stripping it down to just the shaft.

I then went and yanked out the original one and stripped it down.


Painted the shaft, so it wouldn't stand out once all back together.



I checked the ae100 series side shifter piece to the ae92 original and found that it was a little longer. So i went and cut the them both in half and added them together to give them roughly a 5-10mm length increase.
(This will aid in the throw between gears.)























All welded together. (Excuse the "lovely" welds, done with a good old trusty arc welder)




As know both links are longer, they would bottom out. So to fix this i added some washers under the main shifter housing to give it clearance.



Put it all back together, and ready to put back in the car.




With the shifter know sitting higher than factory, the plastic surround had to be trimmed to suit. Out came the drill and the Dremel.


The rolla know shifts quicker than ever. 
By doing this little alteration, i am able to select gears quicker and it feels alot better than the original stupidly long gear change throw.

Hears a few more pics as it was sitting in the shed asking for attention.


5 comments:

  1. What is that blue stuff on your shifter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just grease..! We normally use the more water resistant stuff which is blue.

      Delete
  2. how do you knock off the ball, I'm trying and I can't

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A large hammer should do the trick. Its only pressed on, so will come off.

      Delete
  3. Hi,

    Thanks for this post! About to install an ae101 shifter to my ae92 and the quide I found previous to this told to do some modding on the shifter base plate, but it seems that I can just raise the upper half upwards instead of that advice found earlier :)

    Btw. Do you know where I could get my hands on those parking light & turn signal kombolights that you have? Been trying to find myself a pair, because my sedan has separate parkings in the corner and the turn signals are located in the rear portion of the wheel arch which I would like to get rid of. The only models in Ebay, etc. that have these in the same housing are for the USA model and it won't fit to the JP model wheel arch which you have in this fx :)

    ReplyDelete